Apart from the name, you’d never guess I talk about beauty judging by the how infrequent the beauty posts have been around these parts. In all honestly, I’m just a bit bored of beauty. I work in beauty all day, so as I’ve mentioned on here before, it’s difficult to come home and write about it some more once you get in. That said, I’ve got a few bits to chat to you about today.
First of all, I need to tell you about this Sun Safety Kit from Sephora. I got my brother to pick one up for me when he was last the US and it’s by far one of the best things I’ve ever had from brand. They regularly do these little kits with miniature samples from decent brands (a bit like a pimped up Birchbox/Glossybox that isn’t full of perfume samples). This one features lots of summer beauty bits and so far, I’ve LOVED nearly everything I’ve tried. Initial thoughts:
- BOSCIA B.B. Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 27 PA++ – almost mousse-like in texture. Adapts to your skin colour. Light coverage. Like a lot.
- DR. JART+ Premium Beauty Balm SPF 45 – not keen, doesn’t have great spreadability.
- FRESH® Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 – SUCH A CUTE MINI!
- Supergoop!® Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 – Love this. Like that it’s a facial mist with a few extra uses, mainly the SPF. Smells amazing.
You can get it shipped to the UK and it works out at about £25 – well worth it in my opinion.
So I know I’ve already mentioned the Sienna X Hit Express Tan recently in my fake tans you need to know about post, but it needs a second mention because I am OBSESSED. It’s the quickest developing fake tan I’ve ever come across. I love the colour, I love how it fades, I love that it doesn’t smell. Go get one and let me know what you think.
It’s so hard to find a decent blonde eyebrow pencil on the high street. Most that I come across tend to be a bit gingery as opposed to ashy. I thought I’d give the Maybelline Brow Satin pencil in the shade ‘dark blonde’ a go. I think the sponge end is useless, but the pencil end is decent enough. It’s not quite perfect and is still a bit warm for my liking, but it’s a nice high street option for now. MAC, please bring back ‘dirty blonde’ please and if any of you have any high street recommendation for a good dark blonde brow pencil please do let me know.
Eugh my skin. My sodding skin. I honestly don’t know what’s going on. Well, that’s a lie, I do, but it’s really bloody annoying. Basically, I came off the pill four months ago after being on it for the best part of a decade and naturally my body and skin have gone “WTF?!” It’s so infuriating because I tend to have 9 days of awful skin (whiteheads, general congestion, but only on T-zone) then 6 days of the most amazing skin I’ve ever had in my life. It’s all very odd and I need to do a bit more research into it. If you’ve been in a similar situation I’d love to hear your thoughts. Anyway, in the meantime, I’ve been using the above three products to help try and sort things out the best I can (although I suspect as it’s hormone related there’s not a great deal I can do skincare wise).
- The Medik8 Cream Cleanser is lovely to use and has a very mild exfoliating effect thanks to the L-mandelic acid. Love.
- The Exuviance Clarifying Solution isn’t something I’d probably buy again. It’s glycolic acid and I think I’d have preferred a BHA instead. Alcohol is also quite high up on the list which I’m not keen on either.
- The Priori Advanced AHA Skin Renewal Cream is something I’ve had before but I decided to get a new bottle to use as a decent leave on chemical exfoliant. If I’ve not used this for a while I do notice a slight tingle when I try it, but it’s nothing uncomfortable.
So yeah, a bit of a none story for you there! Like I said, if you have any recommendations/insight into this I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Finally, we’ve wrapped up the first series of Beauty Talk Podcast. All ten episodes are available to listen on iTunes, Soundcloud and Sticher. Just type in beauty talk podcast into the search bar and we should come up. We’re planning on starting up series two in September so if you have any suggestions please drop us a message on Twitter – @beautytalkpod